Notes from Riverview
Happy December, TeamRV Friends and Families!
We have numerous things going on in the upcoming months: this is your one stop shop of things to keep in mind!
- This week, 11/28 - 12/2 Girls on the Run are collecting gently used books for Brightstar Books. There are donation boxes near all classrooms
- This Saturday 12/3, from 6-9pm at SMFHS is our Student Council’s annual Drop and Shop for parents. This year, the HS StuCo is joining us. You can pre-register at
- Riverview Rockers are performing at Mulberry Gardens Mon. 12/5
- Next week 12/5 - 12/9 Our Student Council is sponsoring a Food Drive for Good Neighbors
- PTA’s December meeting is Tuesday 12/6 at 7:00pm
- Support TeamRV and purchase MARCOs pizza on Thurs. 12/8 order online for bigger impact
- PTA is sponsoring the annual Holiday Shop 12/12 - 12/16 in the Fine Arts Room (Thank you to Mrs. Schmitt for taking her talents to each classroom this week)
- Monday. 12/19 is a favorite - Wear your PJs to school! And Tuesday 12/20 is wear your choice of holiday clothing and accessories.
- The end of our 2nd quarter is December 2oth. Report Cards will be available online January 6th.
- Our Winter holiday break begins for students on Dec 21 and students will return to school on Wed. January 4, 2017
- PTA sponsors 3 different awards: School Nurse nominations are due by Feb 1. The Helping Hands Award and Outstanding Educator nominations are due March 1. The nomination forms are available in our office in the literature rack. We sure do have amazing teachers and support staff!
- Please remember that if your family is in need of some additional support you can fill out the Free and Reduced Lunch information - those forms are also available in our office. You can also let Traci know if you are interested in receiving a monthly Bulldog Bag. More info can be found at www.bulldogbags.org
- January’s PTA mtg will be on Tues. 1/10th at 7pm
- Jim Basketball Jones will be at Riverview on Fri. 1/13 for an amazing assembly: be ready to hear from your children how awesome he is!
I consider it a complete blessing to be here at TeamRV with your families. I wish you all a very magical holiday season. It occurred to me as school started that our 4th graders were the first kindergarteners I met at Riverview. That has caused me to savor the moments this school year a little bit more than usual. I know that it is a privilege to spend my days with these children who all grow so quickly and learn so much. Thank you all for sharing your babies with teamRV.
“Imagine life is a game in which you are juggling five balls. The balls are called, work, family, health friends, and integrity. And you’re keeping all of the in the air. But one day you finally come to understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. The other four balls - family, health, friends, integrity - are made of glass. If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered. And once you truly understand the lesson of the five balls, you will have the beginning of balance in your life.” James Patterson
The above resonated with me as I’ am always seeking balance with varying degrees of success. I wish you success in keeping your five balls balanced so that those that are more fragile are held with care. Keep your brains happy ~ Traci Kosmach, Principal
TeamRV's first Video Newsletter: Click here to view
August 26, 2016
Welcome back to school TeamRV families!
WOW! We are having a great start to the 2016-17 school year! I am pretty sure that our 4th grade boys grew more over the summer than any other class I’ve seen! Everyone comes back seeming much older - even after our short summer. I was so ready to see the school building fill up with children: and fill up it did. Our enrollment is up; we have 300 children attending Riverview. It was awesome to see the kindergarten students coming in with their matching shirts!
A few reminders:
- Please take the time to read through our Family Handbook!
- Please be sure to complete your ANNUAL FORMS AND CONSENTS which can be found on the district home page (www.smfcsd.org) about half way down on the right. This important information will enable us to keep your children safe by providing current contact information and medical updates. It is imperative that you provide us with the important information. If you do not have access to a computer or need assistance, please call our office and Mrs. Zivny or I can help you.
- Morning Drop Off: Please make sure to follow the traffic patterns and MOST importantly only drop your children off in the crosswalk where our fabulous crossing guard, Mrs. Foster is posted to ensure safety! Please do not allow your children to walk through the parking lot without a grown up at any time. The front part of our driveway is reserved for busses in the morning and afternoon.
- Afternoon Pick Up: If your child is a car rider, please come into the front hallway and sign him/her out. Exit through the front doors and go into the gym door. Children will be called down to the gym and you will be checked out by Ms. Cugini. We do our best to NOT allow any adults in the classroom hallways during this time as we want to ensure a safe dismissal for ALL children.
- As stated in our Family Handbook - any time you come to Riverview please go directly to the office and sign in.
- Regarding walking your children to their classrooms in the morning: this is allowed until Friday, September 9th. At that point we ask that you encourage your child to walk to their classroom on their own. We are happy to provide support as needed! Please honor this request, encourage your children's independence and respect that special time for teachers to greet and chat with children. We will expect all children to say goodbye to their parents in the front hallway beginning September 9th: thank you in advance for your cooperation!
- Remember to make sure your child has what they need for LUNCH:
Lunches cost $2.75 (40 cents if your household qualifies for a reduction)
- Breakfasts cost $1.50 (30 cents if your household qualifies for a reduction)
- You can put money on your child account at the WEBSTORE on our district’s website, or send it with them in an envelope or baggie marked with their name and room number.
- It is worth filling out the paperwork for Free and Reduced Lunch(breakfast) if you have a need: the information is confidential and you may be surprised by the qualifying incomes. The school benefits from Title 1 monies from the state when families qualify: it may be worth your time to fill out the paperwork which is available on the smfcsd.org website under the Parent Tab/Forms and Applications.
- New and new to TeamRV Staff:
Ms. Eva Scarsella, School Counselor
Mrs. Jen Scarbrough, Speech and Language Pathologist
Ms. Lisa Cogdeill, Intervention Asst.
Mrs. Kristina Schmitt, Art teacher
Miss Allison Barber, Title 1, Literary
Miss Ashley Kinnan, Title 1, Math