Welcome to the Parent Mentor Webpage!
I'm Angelina Sachs, and work as the Parent Mentor for the Stow-Munroe Falls City School District. I am here to help you and your child. I offer support and information to parents of children and young adults who have been diagnosed with a disability, and receive special education services. I can also assist families and students who receive accommodations under a 504 Plan or have a child that is experiencing difficulties and currently working with an Intervention Assistance Team. I can assist you in becoming the best advocate for your child. The program, in conjunction with the Stow-Munroe Falls City Schools is designed and actively works to foster parent and professional teamwork.
Parent Mentors are grant funded through the Ohio Department of Education, Office for Exceptional Children. Parent Mentors come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences but have one very important thing in common... we are all parents of children with disabilities and recognize the challenges placed before you, as you learn to navigate the special education process.
Promoting partnerships between parents and education is the common goal of every Parent Mentor Program. In their dual role as parent and consultant, mentors work to encourage and facilitate positive communication between parents and educators. To view a Google Slide presentation on the Parent Mentor Program click here.
The Stow-Munroe Falls City School Parent Mentor Program offers the following services:
- Guidance throughout the special education process, including the assessment process and Evaluation Team Report (ETR.)
- Learn how you as parent, can be involved in the development of your child's Individualized Education Plan (IEP.)
- Support to families through explanation and translation of special education terminology in understandable terms.
- The availability to meet individually and or at team meetings including ETR/IEP's; at the request of families or staff.
- Knowledge of the special education programs available through the Stow-Munroe Falls City School district and the Six District Educational Compact.
- Workshops and training sessions focused on topics of interest that may give parents a better understanding of their child's disability and how it might enhance their child's educational, daily living or social skills.
- A Lending Resource Library with current books, pamphlets, DVD's on disabilities such as Autism/Asperger's, ADD/ADHD, Learning Disabilities, Social Skill development, behavior and discipline plus many others.
- The availability of state and community resources such as medical/prescription/food assistance programs, support groups, local tutoring services, agency services offered through Akron Child Guidance, Summit DD, The Rehabilitation Service Commission/OOD and many more.
There are many resources listed on the pages above, if you need assistance or are looking for something you can't find, please feel free to contact me.
Stow-Munroe Falls City Schools
4350 Allen Rd.
Stow, Ohio 44224
Inter-Office Calls: 705447